The two mineral springs Lucius and Emerita bubble up in the Büvetta Tarasp drinking hall. They are the springs with the highest mineral content in the Lower Engadin. The Lucius spring is even considered the strongest mineral spring in Europe. However, the building alone, which protects the two springs, is already a special feature.
The Büvetta Tarasp has already had a formative history.
Bath and water cures are among the oldest known healing practices. Even the Romans loved and staged the bath. Thereby healing and pleasure went hand in hand.Thanks to the tectonic peculiarity of the «Lower Engadin Window», more than 20 springs bubble out of the rock in and around Scuol and are mentioned as early as 1533 by Paracelsus. The physician Conrad Gessner was also one of the famous scientific visitors in 1561. He cured here to free himself from his persistent sciatica. Tourist development began in 1841, when gentlemen Olgiati and Conzetti leased the springs of Tarasp and received permission for the construction of a park and the catchment of the springs on the banks of the Inn – on condition that the inhabitants of Tarasp could obtain «salt water» free of charge. The physician Conrad Gessner was also one of the famous scientific visitors in 1561. He cured here to free himself from his persistent sciatica. Tourist development began in 1841, when Messrs Olgiati and Conzetti leased the springs of Tarasp and received permission for the construction of a park and the catchment of the springs on the banks of the Inn - on condition that the inhabitants of Tarasp could obtain «salt water» free of charge. Around 1843 a simple drinking hall (Büvetta) was built and just one year later the Baedeker drew attention to the village, but criticised the few overnight accommodation facilities.
With the construction of the Tarasp Spa House, designed by the experienced hotel architect Felix Wilhelm Kubly, the noble guests will arrive. In 1864 the hotel is ready for use. The house offers 300 guest beds, the latest comforts and the glamorous halls and salons that ladies and gentlemen of the world need for their appearance. Steam pumps lead the healing water directly to the bathing facilities of the spa house. This allows guests to take their bath comfortably in the side wing: «Steel baths with a high natural carbon dioxide content», as the advertising promises. Spurred on by the success of the Kurhaus, the plan for the construction of a representative drinking hall is being pushed ahead. Between 1875 and 1876 the architect Bernhard Simon built an elongated foyer with shops on the mountain side, large arched windows overlooking the Inn and, as the crowning glory, an octagonal, solid rotunda with festive columns on a high marble base for the three springs Bonifacius, Emerita and Lucius.
Out of fashion
With the outbreak of the Second World War, the elegant guests stay away and after that the world changes. The leisurely spa life with its social conventions goes out of fashion. People prefer to travel to the Adriatic and want to have fun and games.In the 1950s, the young Friedrich Dürrenmatt stayed at the Waldhaus Tarasp on invitation, strolled down to the drinking hall every day to drink a glass of spring water and was inspired to create great works. Thus the impressions of his Tarasp stays can be found in his last novel «Durcheinandertal» from 1989. In 1963 another large investment was made in the drinking hall. According to the plans of the architects Manz and Harter from Chur, the foyer with its richly profiled arcade wood panelling is transformed into a sober room without any historical frills, in keeping with the taste of the times. But the decline of the spa and bathing industry is unstoppable.
The drinking hall of the former spa complex «Bad Tarasp» is one of the most important historicist buildings in the Graubünden stock. It is the most grandiose and only preserved drinking hall from the great era of spa tourism in Switzerland and as such is an important part of our cultural heritage. (Ludmila Seifert-Uherkovich)
- Employment of a project manager in a 20% workload
- Monument protection for the Büvetta Tarasp together with Chasa Carola, which makes it possible to obtain a permit for the renovation of the building and places the municipality and canton under an obligation to secure the drinking hall
- Clearance of the drinking hall, removal of the Pavatexplates
- Structural decision that the association is not capable of acting and that a foundation is needed to generate funds and secure the purpose
- Foundation of the association "Pro Büvetta Tarasp" on the first UNO World Water Day in the Engadin Scuol Zernez holiday region
- Closure of the Büvetta Tarasp by the former municipality of Tarasp
- Establishing a foundation
- Cession of the drinking hall and plots
- Rock protection
- Ensuring public access
- Set up functioning operation